Monday, 7 December 2009

More Hostile Reconnaissance

Last year on UN Human Rights Day I was invited to cover a traveller wedding, one of four in four days at Dale Farm ahead of a planned site eviction by Basildon Council in Essex

As UN Human rights Day approaches this week Dale Farm is still intact and NUJ lawyers have today submitted a letter to the IPCC about the treatment I faced from policemen who stopped me under s44 of the Terrorism Act at the wedding, who took my camera and said I could have been doing "Hostile Reconnaissance"

I have been covering the lives and struggles of travellers in the UK since 1996 and more recently the problems for Roma gypsies across Europe. See the destruction of Sulukule, the oldest gypsy community in the world and the conditions in the camps around Rome

This week I was invited back to Dale Farm to document a double wedding, son and daughter of Peal (pictured) see the web gallery here

Images available from www.reportdigital.co.uk

No comments: